Afternoon slumps between meals are brutal, especially on hard training days. But I’ve got just the remedy for that.
Here’s an amazing recipe for an easy, high-protein chocolate cake that you cook in a coffee mug. That’s right, all you need is a microwave.
Stop what you’re doing and give this a try, you won’t regret it. Couple the cake with a tall glass of whole milk and you’ve got an amazing late night snack. And did I mention you can even eat the cake for breakfast? That’s right! It’s super nutritious.
Here is how you make it.
Here’s what you need to make the chocolate cake:
- 1 scoop of whey protein powder.
- 1 tablespoon of raw cacao.
- 1 tablespoon of dark chocolate chips.
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil (melted).
- 1 beaten egg.
- 1/4 cup of organic apple sauce, or a small crushed banana.
- A teaspoon of ground coffee. This is optional, but really boosts the flavor.
You can use plant-based protein powders, but the cake might turn out a little gritty. I like to use high-quality unflavored whey products, but go ahead and use chocolate or vanilla protein powder if that’s what you prefer. Also, you can use regular cocoa powder for this recipe, but I prefer 100% cacao.
The applesauce or crushed banana gives some sweetness to the cake and also adds to the flavor. I recommend it, but you can leave that out. Likewise, you could also add stevia or a teaspoon or so of maple syrup if you prefer.
Beat together all of your wet ingredients, then in a separate bowl, combine all of the dry. Next, combine everything together to form a fairly smooth batter. Be careful not to over mix.
Lightly rub down the inside of your mug with coconut fat, add your batter, then microwave for 45 seconds. Check the cake by pressing down on the center. It should be firm and spongy. If not, place your cake back in the microwave for 10 second increments. Be careful, it will dry out easily. My average is 50-60 seconds.
When it’s ready, ease a thin knife around the outside of the cake, then tip it on a plate or just eat it straight from the mug. It’s to die for.
Pro tip: Try slipping a spoonful of peanut butter into your batter before microwaving it. It melts all the way through, and there are no words to describe the decadence.
The Lemon Blueberry Version
I know it’s hard to believe, but this version is just as good as the chocolate.
- 1 scoop of protein powder.
- 2 tablespoons of oat flour or 1 tablespoon of coconut flour. They both work well.
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder.
- 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice, including just a bit of finely grated lemon rind.
- 1 beaten egg.
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil.
- 3 tablespoons of plain Greek yogurt, coconut milk or applesauce. I have to say, the coconut milk is my favorite. It just depends on your taste.
- One handful of fresh blueberries.
It’s exactly the same as the chocolate cake. Mix the wet, the dry, and then combine everything together. The only difference is that, before you add your batter to the mug, fold in your blueberries.
Pro tip #2: If you really need a treat, serve this cake with a big scoop of mascarpone cheese with a teaspoon of maple syrup mixed through. It’s just like a delicious lemon pound cake.
- Want help creating a nutrition strategy that works for you? Check out Nutrition for Weightlifters.